You are in The Reading Library —-> CIA declassified documents section.
My name is Virginia McClaughry and I’ll be acting as “librarian” for this section.
The following are declassified CIA documents (declassified by the CIA May 13, 2004) that I resurrected out of the Internet Archive – a great resource (if you’re not familiar with it). This was necessary because of a viral attack on the website previously hosting these documents which caused it to become inaccessible. This occurred sometime in mid-January 2013, and made it so people couldn’t access the documents that I linked to in several of our articles here.
An additional resource that I found since that time is called the The Black Vault. They had originally filed a FOIA request for all documents pertaining to MKULTRA and similar projects, and they finally (years later) received CD-ROMS of the documents. They have made them available electronically as compressed zip files.
As a backup, I have uploaded the zip files here.
They have a PDF file listing what is on those discs, that I have also uploaded.
At Black Vault there are also html files available listing the contents of each disk – here are the links.
I have also started pulling out individual subprojects and putting all the related documents into their own PDFs, which are OCR’d.
Here is a listing of those acompanied by a brief description and pointers to source document pages.
- PDF – MKULTRA subproject 68 documents – found in Black Vault CD#4, folder 17468, this is Dr. Ewen Cameron subproject. Descriptive documents can be located starting on page 11, 48, and 52 – which has an interesting disclosure in that Cameron was trying to figure out if he could make people heal wounds by his “command” using his horrific psychic-driving technique that he learned from British psychiatrist William Sargant.
- PDF – MKULTRA subproject 43 documents – found in Black Vault CD#4, folder 17441, this is Dr. Louis Jolyon “Jolly” West subproject.
- PDF of Earman Report on MKULTRA 26 July 1963 – found in Black Vault’s MKULTRA archives disk#4, folder 17748. A very KEY document, this is the 26 July 1963 Report of the Inspection of MKULTRA where the final phase of testing on unwitting subjects is discussed, as well as there is documentation that psychological operations (versus more research) had been put into motion beginning 1962. This document would also lead to beginning MKSEARCH and also switching cut-out organizations from the Society for Human Ecology over to the Scientific Engineering Institute (created by the CIA in 1956) where implementation of what they had learned would begin being tested on “freestanding populations” – that were unwitting
- PDF of the MKULTRA Briefing Book put out January 1976, lists the 149 subprojects known and gives brief actual document descriptions of each (originally found at Black Vault’s MKULTRA archives disk#2, folder 190090). We uploaded a full size version (64MB) to the internet archive, or if you prefer a smaller 15mb version (with some loss of clarity) you can get that here at the blog by clicking the link.
Next, here are the documents I have been resurrecting (and researching) from the afore-mentioned defunct website, plus there will be some added that I found by perusing the Black Vault CD’s.
Note: For the most part the titles are my choice, and are not necessarily the documents title. I did this to make it easier for people to tell what the document is about.
Each link goes to a page where you will find further information about the document; OCR’d pdf files that we have uploaded (for ease in document searchability); as well as raw images for immediate viewing.
As this list grows longer, I will be adding categories to make your research (and mine) easier.
1. Aims of Psychological Warfare – early 1940’s
2. Definition, Purpose, and Objectives of Psychological Warfare – December 14, 1942, Robert A. Cresswell to Major David K.E. Bruce, the British executive over MI5 and MI6
3. The Planning Group for Psychological Warfare – Staff List – 1943
5. Sexual Variants – Homosexuals – December 18, 1941, Alfred A. Gross to NBC vice-president Frank E. Mason
6. Working with the British on Morale Operations – April 4, 1944 – Harold C. Deutsch to William Langer
7. Frank G. Wisner appointed Chief of SI: Mission Istanbul, Turkey – June 27, 1944 – from Chas W. Edwards (Services Officer)
8. What to tell Americans about Japan – January 29, 1942 from Dr. James Phinney Baxter the III (head of R &A*) to Robert C. Tryon. — *Research and Analysis psychology division
9. Planting Articles in Foreign editions of Time, New York Times, etc. – January 18, 1944 from the infamous George Hunter White (head of OSS counterintelligence) to John C. Hughes
(head of OSS New York area)
10. Inventing Propaganda Slogans for “Bill of Rights” Day – December 10, 1941 Dr. Robert C. Tryon to Dr. James Phinney Baxter the III (head of R &A).
11. Plans for the Specific Functions of the Psychology Division – Profiling America – October 9, 1941 Dr. Robert C. Tryon. (head of the psychology division) to Mr. Clarence Douglas Dillon.
12. Training: How to Run Intelligence Operations – License to Kill – Major Garland H. Williams Training Section: Intelligence.
13. Intelligence Training: The Foreign Informer – Recruitment and Use Of to Harass and Spy on “Enemies” – circa 1943 no signee or addressee
14. Subversive Psychological Warfare Tactics – circa 1943 no signee or addressee
15. How to Psychoanalyze A Nation – January 2, 1942 Prepared for the Psychology division by Buford H. Junker with the assistance of Drs. W. Lloyd Warner, John F. Embree, Conrad M. Arensberg, and J.E. Weckler.
16. The Functions and Organization of the Morale Operations Branch of OSS Europe – Fifth Column Activities – July 31, 1943, from Rae H Smith, (head of London OSS Morale Operations) to C.P. Healy. This document is British Orders to the OSS Re: MO (Morale Operations) Branch Europe. The document also mentions fifth column activities.
17. Establishing Psychological Warfare HQ in Lebanon for Northern Near East – January 9, 1943, Document naming David K.E. Bruce – Director or Chief of the OSS SI (Special Intelligence) division 1942; Wilson Thomas Moore Beale – Project Officer 1943; Chief of Geographic Section – Gordon Loud 1/9/43; Director of OSS, Donovan. Document is about establishing in Lebanon a supervisory agent for psychological warfare activities throughout the northern Near east. The supervisor himself will be able to serve as an agent in Syria, Iran and possibly Russia.
18. Near East Operations – Iraq – Medical Research on Desert Tribes – OSS Agent Dr. Hans Hoff – December 1942, A previously historically unnamed man (which I figured out who it was) is recruited to be an OSS special intelligence agent in Iraq. This page is loaded with lots of buried history, rare and never-before-seen information and images. Document names David K.E. Bruce – Director or Chief of the OSS SI (Special Intelligence) division 1942; Wilson Thomas Moore Beale – Project Officer 1943; Chief of Geographic Section – Gordon Loud 1/9/43; Director of OSS, Donovan.
19. Near East Operations – Turkey #4 – Agent “Tobacco Man” – November 1942, the first sending of an agent to Istanbul Turkey to take on OSS Functions. This page is loaded with lots of buried history, rare and never-before-seen information and images. Document names, David K.E. Bruce – Director or Chief of the OSS SI (Special Intelligence) division 1942; Wilson Thomas Moore Beale – Project Officer 1943; Chief of Geographic Section – Gordon Loud 1/9/43; Director of OSS, Donovan, and Colonel (Florimund) Duke or Lieutenant Colonel Ulius Amoss – Southeastern Europe and Turkey heads of SI and SO; V. Lada Mocarski
Lt. Col., AUS Chief, SI.
20. Near East Operations – Howes Project 29 – Istanbul Contacts Man Ernest G. Howes – August 1, 1944, Part of the re-organization of OSS Istanbul – Boston banker Ernest G. Howes is hired as an agent to “develop an intelligence network”. Document names, Lanning “Packy” Macfarland – Director of OSS Turkey – Istanbul, replaced by Frank G. Wisner; Colonel John Edwin Toulmin – Macfarland’s superior in Cairo.
21. Near East Operations 25 – Lieutenant “Quiet” – October 1943, establishing an SI agent in Lebananon – possibly Daniel C. Dennett Jr. Document names, Colonel John Edwin Toulmin – the SI superior in Cairo, Stephen B.L. Penrose, Jr. Chief, Near East desk; V. Lada Mocarski Lt. Col., AUS Chief, SI; American Minister George Wadsworth.
22. Near East Operations – #16 – Agent “Missionary” in Iran – establishing an Si agent in Kermanshah, Iran, possibly Edwin Wright or Clinton Louis Olson. Document names, David K.E. Bruce – Director or Chief of the OSS SI (Special Intelligence) division 1942; Wilson Thomas Moore Beale – Project Officer, 1943; Gordon Loud – Chief of Geographic Section (Near East)
23. Near East Operations – #14A – Chief Agent Iraq – The ‘Dentist’ and The “Oil Man” – Establishing a Chief Agent for Iraq, using an executive with the Iraw Petrolem Company, code named Charles Wiley, with a cipher officer code named Wiley Shang, and also establishing a Kirkuk IPC oil company executive code named Robert Craig. This document also details the establishing of THE DENTIST spy ring in Iraq, complete with their own “dental tools” code. Document names, David K.E. Bruce – Director or Chief of the OSS SI (Special Intelligence) division 1942; Wilson Thomas Moore Beale – Project Officer, 1943; Gordon Loud – Chief of Geographic Section (Near East)
24. Near East Operations – #10 – Agent for Palestine and Transjordan – approx 1941 – Establishing agent in Palestine, Nelson Glueck code name William Hicks. Other agents for this area are Harold W. Glidden code name Robert Laing, and Ephraim Avigdor Speiser.
25. The British Rumors list – Frederick Oeschner to Robert Knapp – December 6, 1943, document covers the list of SIBS (rumors) that OSS is supposed to be spreading. Also included are excellent histories of several people involved in the British Special Operations Executive office, and its beginnings.
26. Document Flow Chart – Special Intelligence Africa – circa 1943
27. Hoover, Donovan and the USNR: White Russians As Spies In China – January 1, 1944, this documents covers not trusting White Russians either in the U.S. or overseas. Document is between FBI Hoover and Donovan.
28. Black Vault document – PROJECT ARTICHOKE ‘Special Research” Areas – April 24, 1952, this document discusses areas of research such as electroshock, lobotomy, drugs, tampering with food, etc.
29. CIA Director’s Log September through December 1951- MANY items proving all sorts of things are in this. I go through a number of them in the linked post.